Falls Park On The Reedy
Falls Park On The Reedy is a beautiful 26-acre city park located in the middle of downtown Greenville, South Carolina. The focal point of Falls Park is the $4.5 million Liberty Bridge, a pedestrian suspension bridge that spans the Reedy River and overlooks the Reedy River waterfalls. Landscape architect Andrea Mains of Washington, DC designed Falls Park to feature a collection of garden rooms to display seasonal color and artistic garden design. Specialty gardens, including the Falls Cottage Garden and the Governor’s School Woods, blend ornamental and native plants to make Falls Park a true downtown attraction. Once a hunting ground for the Cherokee Indians, the Reedy River in downtown Greenville, SC saw its first white settlers in 1773 when Richard Pearis purchased 10 square miles along the river from three Cherokee chiefs, and later operated a gristmill at the Upper Falls of the Reedy. In 1852, Furman University bought the land, and three textile mills and a cotton warehouse operated there in the early 1900s. In 1967, the Carolina Foothills Garden Club reclaimed 26 acres along the river and over the next 40 years worked with the City of Greenville, individuals, corporations, and state and federal agencies to further develop the park, clean up the river and restore the historic Falls Cottage. In this video, Greenville Mayor Knox White talks about how the development of Falls Park On The Reedy has contributed to the revitalization of the City of Greenville and how it has become one of Greenville’s primary attractions.